Published On: Wed, Jun 4th, 2014
MainBlock / NEWS | By bmcsr | عدد المشاهدات 1,389

Libya’s Haftar survives ‘assassination bid’

Libya’s General Khalifa Haftar survived a suicide attack on his residence in the eastern city of Benghazi on Wednesday, military officials said.

Haftar has been leading an offensive against Islamist militias in the country.

The Associated Press reported that the bomber drove up to his residence and detonated his explosives-laden vehicle when guards stopped him at the compound’s gate.

Officials, who spoke to the Associated Press on condition of anonymity, said Haftar was unharmed in the explosion.

According to the officials, four people died in the attack, along with the bomber, and at least three were wounded.

No group has so far claimed responsibility for the attack.

A former army chief under the late dictator Muammar Qaddafi, Hafter and army units loyal to him have been battling Islamist militias, mainly in eastern Libya, the Associated Press reported.